Sunday, April 13, 2014

My go-to meals

Quesadillas and fajitas are two of my go-to meals if ever I need something quick, warm and tasty for dinner.  You can make as much or as little as you like and the fillings are so versatile.  Here is my typical shopping list for these meals:

Wraps (I usually go for the large wraps but small work well if you want a quick lunch)
Chicken (if you're vegetarian large flat mushrooms also work well)
Tomatoes
Green and red peppers
Lettuce (baby gem or romane)
Cheese (cheddar)

If I'm making a Fajita I tend to use the spices I already have in my kitchen and my homemade mix usually includes cumin, ground coriander, chilli powder and paprika (plus a pinch of salt).  If you don't have spices lying around then you can always buy a pot of ready-mixed spice.

I start off by chopping up the chicken into chunks and, if I'm making fajitas, I then coat them in the spice mix.  If you have time to leave the chicken to let the spices infuse for a bit that's great, if not don't worry it will still taste good!  Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and fry your chicken until golden/cooked, you can always check by cutting a piece in half to see if it's cooked all the way through.  If you want you can also fry some onions with the chicken.

While my chicken is cooking I usually quickly chop up my salad.  If you're making a quesadilla, once the chicken is done and your salad is prepared get out a clean, non-stick frying pan (or if like me you only have the one wash it up).  Heat the pan but don't put any oil in, once it's hot turn the heat down to medium and place a wrap into it, sprinkle over some grated cheese and allow it to melt before adding the chicken and salad.  Remove the wrap from the pan by sliding it onto a plate and put another wrap in to brown, use this as the top of your quesadilla.

The finished quesadilla

Inside the quesadilla

For fajitas I usually just use an unheated wrap and put my chicken and salad into the centre before folding it in half to make it easier to eat.


You can always add some sour cream/guacamole/salsa if you want to make these dishes a little more exciting, however I much prefer to make these from scratch and there often just isn't time.  If you do fancy making your own check out this blog post.  If you want a slightly fancier variation on this recipe then you can have a look at my other post on fajitas here.

No comments:

Post a Comment